I found this recipe in Light and Tasty magazine, and we just love the unique blend of flavors! So light, fresh, and delicious, I adore quick recipes like this for a meal-in-a-hurry. You can serve the salad as is for a side dish, or to make it a full meal, just add some chopped smoked ham like we often do.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (I don't use parsley)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a large serving bowl; add the corn, red pepper, tomatoes, olives, onion, basil and parsley.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 192 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.