I love these not-too-sweet yet packed-with-goodness muffins. I always include them on my list when I have a freezer cooking day, because they are just perfect to bake up in large batches and then pop a few out for breakfast or a snack whenever you want them!
Sunday Morning Muffins
Yield: 24 muffins
2 cups fresh ground whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (Sucanat or agave can be substituted as a natural sugar)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
½ cup applesauce
2 cups grated carrots
½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
½ cup undrained crushed pineapple
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 12-cup muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, soda and salt.
3. In a small bowl mix eggs and applesauce and add to flour mixture. Stir the batter just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Fold in carrots, pecans and pineapple. Stir until blended.
5. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
6. Cool in tins for 10 minutes before removing.