Monday, May 27, 2013

Strawberry Pie

Mom's Strawberry Pie
I think this recipe from my mom is the best strawberry pie I've ever had. There's not a ton of sugar in it, so you taste more strawberry flavor instead of just sweet syrup.

1 deep dish pie shell - baked
1 qt fresh strawberries
1 c sugar (or I use 1/4 cup agave nectar instead)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 c water

Chop 1 cup of the strawberries and set aside. Cut remaining berries in half. Combine sugar (or agave) and gelatin in a 2 qt. sauce pan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Add chopped berries. Cook until sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Remove from heat. Cool on the counter until slightly thickened (coats back of spoon). Add remaining berries (the halves) and pour into pie crust. Chill until firm - about 3 hours.

*Note: I've also used a graham cracker crust for this recipe. Although it gets a bit soggy, it's still delicious :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment