Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Crockpot Irish Oatmeal

Do you remember when I posted about loving breakfast foods, but hating the fact that breakfast takes place in the morning? Yup. Not a morning person. BUT, non-morning people unite and take heart! I have found a recipe for Irish Oats that I am in love with. You just throw everything into your crockpot before you go to bed, and wake up to a nice hearty bowlful of steaming oatmeal. {{cue angel chorus}}

 

Crockpot Irish Oats

1 cup steel cut oats (also called Irish Oats) - CANNOT substitute rolled oats!
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk

1 t cinnamon (opt.)

Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray - trust me, this will make clean up soooo much easier! Stir together oats, water, milk, and cinnamon if desired. Cover and set on warm for 8-10 hours. If you have an older crockpot, set on low. If you wake up in the morning, and the oats are too watery for your tastes, turn the crockpot up to high for a few minutes. - The original recipe called for dried fruit, but I thought the extended cooking time leached the sweetness out of the fruit, and into the oatmeal - which made the oatmeal taste good, but the fruit taste a bit bitter. I prefer adding my raisins/craisins/cherries/blueberries/whatever-fruit-I-have right before eating now. I also like maple syrup, honey, and yogurt as optional stir ins!

*This recipe works just as well with non-dairy milks such as rice, almond, and soy.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment